Thursday, February 18, 2021

Deciding genre

 

    Currently the main issue I'm facing in regards to  my project is DECIDING A GENRE! As mentioned in previous blog posts I was thinking of doing  thriller or coming of age film opening. I have yet to decide, so I am going to use this blog post to help me weigh out the different pros and cons of each genre.

    The thriller category seems like a really fun and exciting route to take and would really make an interesting film opening. However, there are some challenges that would be faced if this genre was chosen. First off, casting: I would probably need a few people in order to make this opening work, and not only that, but the 'actors' would have to be able to portray themselves well and be able to express different emotions with just their facial expressions. This is a big factor for the thriller category because without actors who are able to show emotion, both scared and threatening characters, the film could fall victim to being viewed as a parody of a thriller. Another discernment I have is not having the proper equipment or techniques to make the thriller opening capture the scary, eerie essence that I would like to portray. However, experimenting with new techniques and having to come up with or make tools to make the opening could definitely be part of the fun and be a great learning experience. 

    On the other hand, a coming of age film also seems like a viable option that would be exciting to film. This genre is something that I'm pretty inspired by because many coming of age films I absolutely ADORE and love the messages and the way they are filmed, for most films in this genre; I would love to be able to tell a story through this genre. The dilemma I face with choosing this genre however is the problem of overcoming simplicity. I feel some coming of age movies have a repetitive theme, and especially since we are just doing a film opening, it may be difficult to conceive new ideas that set the opening apart from other coming of age films. This genre would still be one that I would be very interested in doing, because of the message it can share and filming and casting may be a bit easier to develop.

    So, I will continue to weigh out the pros and cons of these two genres and see which one will work best for my vision of this film opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stupid, Brave New Film Opening!

 The end of the journey of me creating this film opening has finally come to a close, I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I enjoyed creating...